Monday 8 June 2009

The Femme Fatale genre

Yesterday Shad and I had some quality time together. We let the day rule over us rather than trying to seize it, which is what we end up doing most of the time.
Having slept away the first half of the day, we went out for a short walk in the English cold summer. Hyde Park looked serene with not one person in sight. The cold weather had turned out to be a deterrent to most. We walked for a while and then decided to get back home. It really was getting very cold.
So much for the summer..as most people would agree.

At night,we decided to watch a movie. Shad had got a DVD of a movie called 'Nikita'.
My husband and I have never really agreed on a choice for movies. We differ on our choice. Period. I know I will have to live with this pain for all my life.
He likes action, gory bloody show of decapitated people, fast racing cars that hurl themselves on the hero while he hangs on to dear life on his motorbike.
I like emotional stories with dramatic revelations. Still, I wanted to give Nikita a chance. I had seen some film noir but hadnt seen anything that glorified a female assasin and turned her into a femme fatale.
To cut the story short, I felt the movie was nowhere close to depicting a real femme fatale. The characterisation was pretty sketchy and the so called femme fatale named Nikita was far from one. In fact at times she looked and acted ludicruous. She didnt have the charm and aura that is so much needed in a character of that kind.
A bitter disappointment, we thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment