Thursday 4 June 2009

Are we dead??!!!

This week, when I heard about the Air France plane disaster , I was momentarily in shock.
And then came the pain, sadness and despair. I really felt the loss of all those people who had died suddenly within seconds in the cold water of the Atlantic.
I didnt know any of them.. but they were people like me. They had mothers, who will take the pain of the loss of a child to their graves, wives who would know that their endless wait had only just started and they had children who might never know the selfless love of a parent.
I thought of all those things and it just made me sadder.
But one thing really hit me... I didnt see that this huge loss seemed to have affected people at large. I am quite active on social media networks and it suprised me that people didnt even talk about it, express any pain or even mere regret. Ofcourse there were a mere few, but largely this news went without discussion. A sad commentary on our life today when Susan Boyle (a reality TV participant) hit a Million and more on Youtube within days while 228 people's tragic death went unnoticed. Are we dead?

4 comments:

  1. I also feel the same. With so much violence around we have become quite used to news of bomb blasts,accidents,acts of terrorism. Worst past is we believe this will always happen to "others".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nasreen...I dont know what comes after death. But I know how people feel after they lose a near and dear one. My heart goes out for the families, who have lost someone very important. God give them strength to bear the loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nassy Thank GOD u started a blog...i so wanted to read ur thoughts n always admired ur writing. Well comin to this note, people can be apathetic, got their priorities all mixed up in life but... its also coz pain can make people numb... theres been so much pain in the world lately that i guess people are becoming so numb to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea.. Even I'm really saddened by the fact that hardly anyone even made whimper while some silly piece of news gets all the limelight..

    ReplyDelete